Williams Forrest created an entirely custom SharePoint social solution called OneHP in collaboration with Hewlett-Packard and agencies CHI & Partners and Big Spaceship. OneHP is built upon a single platform and provides all Hewlett-Packard employees across the globe the ability to share knowledge with every other employee using social media-type features and functionalities.
OneHP is both a professional tool as well as a social network; it allows employees to connect on all levels. Our team was responsible to build, implement, host, and maintain a single, extensible platform for enterprise-wide social collaboration. OneHP is a solution Hewlett-Packard will use to enhance collaboration and empower employees on a global scale.
Fig1. - OneHP Employee Portal.
- The majority of OneHP’s features were not in SharePoint’s out-of-the-box functionality, making customization mandatory in order to deliver HP’s requested functionality
- Pushing SharePoint platform to limits and beyond
- Frequent iteration/release cycle with limited development time
- Coordination of efforts among multiple teams across agencies and with the client
- Ensuring scalability and performance for 320,000+ employees
- Extended SharePoint by adding a custom database with tables for tracking posts, groups and group membership, likes and endorsements
- Integrated the custom database with SharePoint Search so that text in posts can be searched
- Leveraged the built in User Profile Application for tracking user profiles, interests, skills and so on
- Used a SharePoint calendar for storing group events
- Used a SharePoint picture library for storing group photos